Although I played with my friend's Clackers, and whacked myself on the head a time or seven, I never witnessed them shatter or break (as they were alleged to). Mom wouldn't allow us to own them because she heard the noise from three yards away and didn't want that ruckus in her house.
The bubbling plastic and smoky molds which heated my day-glow worms and spiders . . . oh, I recall those smells and burns with fondness . . . (even now) a car sitting in an unshaded parking lot for hours can bring those memories wafting back. Mom restricted Creepy Crawlers to our basement; next to my wood-burning, and chemistry sets.
No one in our family or neighborhood got hurt by Jarts (even though we tossed them in each other's general direction). Playing with them was no different than playing with horseshoes, you watched where they were being arced and didn't play when smaller kids were running around.
Which reminds me of the worst Halloween injury I was involved with:
My little sister eagerly rode around me in a circle as I tried to arc a utility-pole anchor spike (tied to a string) through the back of her tricycle. The tricycle-lariat-king was off his game that day, I'll tell you. After over a half-dozen misses, I eventually hit her in the face with the pointy end, which punctured her left cheek and chipped her tooth.
It looked traumatic.
Of course I was sorry.
Only, at the time, I was actually feeling sorry for these things, in this order:
- that I'd, again, missed hooking the back-rung of the tricycle
- her screaming was, obviously, going to put a stop to the game
- now I probably won't be able to convince her to play driveway rodeo with me
- maybe ever again
- getting really screamed at (what were you thinking!?) and grounded, by my parents, felt scarier than the blood and histrionics
- saying "but she didn't mind playing the rodeo calf"
- realizing the answer to my parent's shouted question was that I wasn't, but was old enough to (and that I could only blame my stupidity)
- that in my imagination (as I waited in my room for them to return from the hospital) worse luck added an inch of arc to my throw, which punctured her left eye and stopped in her brain