Crisis? What Crisis?

...when half of what they got, you know, they never will use.  Enough to get by suits me fine; I don't care if you think I'm funny...

          I've got the baton.  I enjoyed following Ginny, but yesterday she forwarded all her planned titles, which—I think—means she's relayed the song-a-day baton.  Hopefully she'll resume.  Until then, I'll cherry pick from her list and make up my own until...questionmark.

          Choosing a title is much more complex than the linear exercise of identifying a song to fit someone else's title.  This conundrum (similar to mentally wrestling with a kōan) stems from my mind instantaneously "discarding" titles which don't immediately pair-up with a tune from my frontal and parietal lobes.  Even when I remind myself the challenge is to force yourself to dredge deep; you can't do that if you're putting the song before the title, my conscious brain still cheats when it competes with itself.  I never could finish a paint-by-numbers, because I already knew what it would look like.    

          Today's title:  A Song That Describes You.

          The Supertramp song, Poor Boy, succinctly describes my personal politics, character, as well as a portion of my attitude (lassitude?) towards others and life in general.  The "mouth-trumpet" which bookends the song is a key ingredient to my enjoyment of it.  For me, it imbues an attitude of:  too destitute to own an instrument but not too proud to fake it.

          The one lyric which captures me best:  Although I'll rant an I'll rave about one thing an' another...the beauty of it is (hope you'll agree)...tho' I'm a poor boy, I can still be happy, as long as I can feel free.

Day 11 - A Song You Can Dance To

3 comments:

veach glines said...

A low-quality live version replaced the high-quality studio version (with lead singer Roger Hodgson and a mouth-trumpet rather than a real one). The better one was deleted (probably because Rick Davies is still an asshole).

Anonymous said...

Don't know what you mean by that
- WH

veach glines said...

Well, WH, if the 'that' which you don't know about, is the comment I made in May 2011, that's because the current video is back to the original (fixed in 2020) Either Rick or the distributor or the record company or YouTube decided blocking the original to make a few bucks was waaay ironic for this song - or (more likely) the copyright lapsed in the last few years.

If the 'that' you don't know about is something else, you'll need to be more specific. But thanks for that.