Covid Diary - Weeks 1 thru 4

don't come in, the water's not so great...
          Friday, 24 APR.  My wife, Pam, and I suspect we are both infected with COVID19.  Unsure at this point.   Pam's symptoms began in the early morning hours (prior to 6am).  My symptoms began in the late afternoon.
         Thinking back:  last night, 23 APR, we both suffered from diarrhea but had not eaten the same food at all that day, and wondered about the coincidence.  This was our first symptom. 
          Our Temperatures, today, are both lower than 98.6 (no fevers).  The main symptom, for us both, is physical fatigue.  We feel as if we have over-exercised and now have acute or delayed-onset muscle soreness—without the burn or itch from healing muscles, just a difficulty/inability to use our arms and leg muscles.  We have both spent many hours in bed due to this extreme fatigue.
          Pam has a very-slight cough (in any other situation it would go without notice, with about one throat-clearing an hour) and she has an unusually-strong headache.  I have no cough, just a slightly itchy throat and headache.
        
          Saturday, 25 APR.  Pam's cough has increased slightly, her fatigue has decreased significantly, still no fever.  Headache the same.
          My fatigue has increased exponentially; I have not left my bed for 20 hours (what was just long-muscle fatigue is now whole-body).  My appetite is gone, but my sense of taste/smell is still present.  Increase in body temperature less than one degree (still would not consider this to qualify as a fever); headache the same.
          Thanks to all who have written best wishes.  I apologize for not writing individual responses, texting, or calling until after I am feeling better.

          Sunday, 26 APR.   Today is better than yesterday for both of us.  Body-fatigue is still present but less severe.  Neither of us have a fever over 99.5 degrees F.  Our coughs/throat issues remain slight.  We both have experienced instances of dizziness as well as rapid heart-rates after only brief exertion (climbing one flight of stairs).
          To answer those who asked why we have not been tested and what we base our assumption of contracting Covid19 on, without high fever or difficulty breathing:  Testing is limited (CDC testing criteria) and Pam is considered a Priority 3.  Since it is likely she contracted the virus last week at her "critical infrastructure job" (grocery store with three Covid-positive coworkers) the purpose of testing would be for her to return to work if Covid-negative.  Since her symptoms are not serious and she can self-quarantine, that is unnecessary.  As to our basis for assuming it is Covid, it is the most logical reason for both of us (her first and me 12 hours later) to be afflicted with such an extreme case of whole-body fatigue.  My hope, now, is that we do not experience any more symptoms and fully recover.

          Monday, 27 APR.  Body fatigue almost completely gone in both of us.  Slight headaches and throat irritations vary with time-of-day and amount of pain medication we each are taking.  If this were a "routine-normal" cold, we would consider returning to work today (85% is good enough to get back to work)—but this is not any of that.  We are contagious and will continue to self-quarantine.

          Tuesday, 28 APR.  My symptoms slightly increasing/returning, which would be considered "normal flu symptoms" (in any other situation): headaches, runny nose, congestion, itchy throat.  Very late this evening, I notice I have a slight, unusual, chest pressure which comes and goes.

          Wednesday, 29 APR.  My light chest pressure from last night is still intermittently present.  Not related to food, caffeine, exertion, or hydration.  My breathing does not feel restricted in any way; I do not think it is lung-related,.  Best guess (based on anecdotal evidence) is that I have become too focused on my own health symptoms and have caused myself to become stressed.  Time for a long walk and some deep meditation.

Week 2:  Thr, 30 APR thru Thr, 7 MAY.  Our minor symptoms for the entire week are those attributable to any infection or to seasonal allergies:  cough, sneeze, nasal blockage, fatigue, soreness in joints and headaches.

Week 3:  Thr, 7 MAY thru Thr, 14 MAY.  Symptoms almost completely gone except for one 20 hour period for me and one 10 hour period for Pam (fatigue, gastrointestinal distress, headaches, etc) returned with a huge spike.  Added minor symptom for me: sore throat.

Week 4:  Thr, 14 MAY thru Thr, 21 May.  Symptoms gone.  No headaches, no fatigue, no sore throat.  (Only a small period of seasonal allergy symptoms; runny nose, nasal drainage.)

Covid Diary - Chapter 2

lighter Covid19 notes:

No comments: