"That's not who we are" — is what it is.

 
          I always cringe when a mature, educated, adult allows the phrase 'it is what it is' to fall out of their brain.  Those five succinct words, in that order, jangle-pucker my opinion-of-you muscle like a sharp kick in the gooch.  Some part of me refuses to stop thinking about, mentally investigates, attempts to further identify, and wants to maybe-hopefully come up with a better answer—to everything.  So, when someone idiomatically declares 'it is whut it is'?  I smell a putrefactive-proclamation!  They sound like they're saying: all is futile; any further thought or discussion by anyone (which includes me) is a fuckin waste of time; case closed.
 
          Which causes me to want to dig it up and determine why they want it buried.  This fantastic article details the 2007 ubiquitous use of the phrase as witnessed by a US Army commander in Iraq.

          When I hear i.i.w.i.i. my grey-matter gavels loudly on my sensibility's sounding block and I have difficulty repressing the urge to say: "I hate that phrase" or "I disagree" or (if I'm feeling kind) "I'm always confused by that statement."  The new after Jan 6th me will no longer repress that urge and I will tell you to your face that I hate that fatalistic sentence.
 
          The equivalent idiom du jour: 'that is not who we are' has been ubiquitously uttered by President Biden, dozens of talking heads (from every political party and media outlet), as well as personal friends and neighbors.
 
          Stop saying: "that's not who we are"!  When you say it, you sound like you're either a coward with your head buried in the sand, an idiot who denies reality, or both.
 
          Use of the "editorial we" or "royal we" is a nosism [say: Nose-is-um].  During the culmination of the Trump presidency's 'final boss battle' on Jan 6th (the echoes of insurrectionist's chants may still be pinging and punching around inside our befuddled brainpans today) the racism, bigotry, prejudice, and in-your-face hatred of millions of white-Republican men and women was proudly on display.
 
          That Is Who We All Are - As A Nation.  Depending on your daily statements and actions, you may be able to say, "that behavior is not representative of who I, as an individual, am."  (From now on, I will require you to prove it.  I intend to ask everyone their opinions.  Fair warning!  Be prepared to defend your statements.)  Because, clearly, WE as a country are a collection of hypocritical, terrible, racist, fucktards.
 
          It is who we were before the civil war a century and a half ago.
 
          It is who we were during the civil rights movement 60 years ago. 
 
          It is who we were when the Black Lives Matter movement began in 2013 when the murderers of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown and Eric Garner (ad infinitum up to today) were acquitted or not indited. 
 
          It is who we were last month when thousands of hypocrites waved hundreds of flags, like: blue-lives-matter (as they struck and killed Capitol Police officers); Q-Anon (as they chanted 'kill Mike Pence'); as well as the confederate battle flag and flags of the NAZI party (as they chanted U.S.A, USA).  

          Our hatred is not buried.  It's constantly out in the open for all to see.  Watch this video and learn why when you say 'it is not who we are' that you're obviously lying to yourself:



          Are you now thinking: 'that is not my community'?  You're fooling yourself.  The vocal few are always surrounded by the silent majority in that city and in every city.  For every person who rolled down their window to shout, hundreds more drove by keeping their mouth shut while they were thinking the same thoughts (which Ms Gorman's poem artfully refers to as: 'quiet isn't always peace').
 
          The vocal few took planes, buses, trains, and pickup-trucks (chock-a-block full of a cacophony of flags) to DC on Jan 6ththe silent millions voted for Trump twice, they still think the same racist thoughts, today and they'll vote for him a third time in four years.
 
more american-isms:


 

No comments: